Halloween doesn’t have to be a sugar free-for-all!
With just a little bit of planning and forethought, you can avoid the scariest part of Halloween–the sugar binges and the guilt and shame that goes along with overindulgence.
You know what we always say: “A failure to plan is a plan to fail.” So, what can we do to prevent the worst of that helpless feeling so many of us have at Halloween (and Thanksgiving, and Christmas and New Year’s…)?
Our thanks to J.J. Virgin for these helpful ideas for things to do and not do next Monday night!
- Stick to your normal eating routine. Don’t skip meals or restrict–it gives us a license to indulge later.
- Exercise in the morning. Start the day out right!
- Have a “splurge strategy.” Decide ahead of time what treats really interest you and determine how many you will eat and then stick to the plan.
- Have an action buddy–commit your plan to someone else and be accountable!
- Limit your access–buy treats at the last minute, give them out and dispose of any extras when the day is done. Stay away!!
- Wear a body conscious outfit–nothing loose or elastic! If you’re going to get a pooch in a body-hugging top, you might rethink that extra treat–and you don’t need it!
- Get back on track right away! Don’t let one day of poor choices trigger an attitude of ditching your diet. Follow Halloween with several days of clean eating and you will feel good as new.
Want to learn more about healthy eating in general and healthy holidays in particular? Give us a call and schedule an appointment with our wellness coach today!
You can do it. We can help.
Yours in Health,