Ask Jennifer: What can I do to help prevent getting the flu this year?
A combination of healthy lifestyle choices (hygiene, nutrition, sleep) and supplements can help you and your family to stave off the flu. And, if you get it, these same steps should help to lessen and shorten symptoms.
To prevent the flu, the best course is to make sure everyone in your family:
- Eats healthy foods (really limit junk food and soda).
- Takes a well-formulated multivitamin (without GMOs, additives, etc.).
- Avoids touching their eyes, nose and mouth, which is how germs spread.
- Washes their hands often, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds (the CDC has good suggestions regarding hand-washing).
- Covers their nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, and washes hands afterward. Used tissues should go in a covered trash can.
- Disinfects surfaces (e.g., cell phones, tables, school books, doorknobs, light switches, and faucet handles) that may be contaminated with the flu virus and other germs.
- Gets plenty of sleep (10-12 hours/night for preschool and elementary school children; 10-12 hours for adolescents and high-school teens; and 8 hours for adults).
Flu Symptom Relief
If someone in your home gets the flu, I recommend (at the first sign of symptoms) that adults and children take Oscillococcinum as directed on the box. This OTC homeopathic remedy is readily available, at pharmacies, and can shorten the duration and severity of symptoms. The sooner you take it the better. I never travel without this product.
For adults and children, I also recommend Immuno Spray, which we carry at Chesapeake Holistic. Spray once every two hours for the first day, and then use two sprays three times daily, until symptoms are gone. For a fever, take one chewable calcium tablet every hour until the fever falls below 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
The practitioners at CH also rely on Flu Nosode to prevent and alleviate flu. Homeopathic nosodes are believed to: help the body recognize disease-causing entities, provide a level of protection, and assist in the natural elimination of pathogens.
We like Flu Nosode because it’s a high-grade homeopathic that’s reformulated each year, with the naturally-occurring forms of current flu strains used in vaccines.
For a customized immune support program, for you or your child, please make a Nutrition and Functional Health appointment with Carol Heckman.
Jennifer Salos, MS, CNC
Jennifer has a Master’s degree in Holistic Nutrition. She is also a nationally Certified Nutritional Consultant and Diplomat of the American Association of Nutritional Consultants.
How to Take Flu Nosode
It’s safe and effective for people of all ages; and one bottle is enough to last throughout flu season for a family of four. They make a limited supply, so stop by our office, or call us, to order soon.
For prevention, we recommend you start taking Flu Nosode at the beginning of October, if possible. Once a week through April (end of flu season), place 10-15 drops under your tongue. Do this 30 minutes before or after a meal / drink.
To alleviate immediate or severe flu symptoms, take 10-15 drops every 15 minutes for up to 3 hours. For mild or improving symptoms, use 10-15 drops 3 times per day.