Ask Jennifer: What are some natural things I can do to improve my sleep?
How to get better sleep is one of the biggest topics that clients ask us about at Chesapeake Holistic.
Of course, getting to the root of why you’re having trouble falling or staying asleep is vitally important.
On July 4, 2017, Carol wrote an article about how much sleep we all really need and tips for getting adequate rest. She also explained how sleep repairs your body and mind at the cellular level. I recommend reading it again (I did!). Carol offers some specifics in her response to sleep questions (later in this newsletter).
If you experience anxiety at night, Lisa Manning’s Advanced Bodywork includes Craniosacral Therapy to ease the nervous system and Energy Work to improve wellbeing. She also works with clients on at-home relaxation techniques.
Sleep issues may also be caused by allergies, belly fat or swollen tonsils:
- If you suspect allergies are keeping you from experiencing restful sleep, Katherine’s Acupuncture and related detox protocols – as well as her upcoming Allergy Desensitization services – may be just what you need.
- To address belly fat, we have Nutrition and Functional Health services to develop a food and lifestyle plan tailored to your body’s specific needs (including rest).
- If your tonsils often feel swollen, you may want to consult with an ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctor. We also carry Throat Spray Milieu by Physica, a homeopathic draining product, which is useful for when new smells or environmental allergies/toxins have been introduced to your home or workplace.
Jennifer Salos, MS, CNC
Jennifer has a Master’s degree in Holistic Nutrition. She is also a nationally Certified Nutritional Consultant and Diplomat of the American Association of Nutritional Consultants.
Did You Know…?
You can use essential oils make your own Aromatherapy Throat Wash. To soothe tonsils and to ease congestion and infections:
- Mix two drops each of sandalwood and lemon oils in a glass of warm water. (For congestion, add eucalyptus oil).
- Gargle and then spit it out.
- Repeat every two hours.
We carry a range of essential oils at Chesapeake Holistic. If there are types of rareESSENCE oils we don’t carry, let us know and we can special order them.